Poignant Irrelevance

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Fight to the End


Wednesday: 5M, 42:32. Lift: Chest (only 5 sets + warmup)









the wild game was awesome. so much fun. i can't get any of pictures to post though. (maybe you will see them, maybe not, have no idea).

The theme for this year's playoffs has been, "Fight to the End".


sports themes, mantras, fight songs, highlight videos, they all get me worked up. can't help it. fight to the end baby!!!!!!!!!! makes me want to bottle up all the adrenaline jolting through my body during the games and channel it during race days and so forth. fight to the end is a very fitting theme for a race no doubt. all you can do is fight to the very end. you've got to use up every single ounce of energy you have during that short window of time. you've trained your body for that one single race.

pro athletes obviously have this down to a science but as an amateur, i still find it difficult to push myself beyond the comfort zone at times. all of the training programs i've ever followed are based around: "don't push yourself too much, slow and steady, no need to risk injury", etc. speed work seems like it would do me some good.

in the end, the wild may not win the series but 'fight to the end' they will. love it. game 5: thursday night.

today a guy i work with wanted to know how much weight i've lost. huh? i replied, 'oh not much'. he responded, 'i think you've lost a lot'. HUH? i haven't really lost any, recently. maybe a pound or two. but, what did i start doing? lifting more regularly in the month of april. weird eh? i think regular lifting can make a difference for me, but its such a struggle to keep up with both regular lifting and running. i might break 50 miles for the month of april vs. 100 in march. sort of a conundrum.

2 Comments:

  • It's funny - somebody just stopped me at my office yesterday to ask what I've been doing differently because I've lost so much weight. Of course, I haven't lost any weight at all but I have started running more miles during the week since Daylight Savings Time kicked in. I feel good, and like I should look different, but the weight is the same. Obviously, something has shifted or she wouldn't have commented. I wonder what's up with that?

    By the way - Congratulations on your new house! You must be excited.

    Also - are you running in challenges on Nike+? I'm pretty addicted and I wonder if I see you over there and don't even know it? (I'm hmonkeyruns in that universe.)

    By Blogger Helen, at 9:03 AM  

  • For me, lifting and running don't go well together, it's a one-or-the-other situation!

    By Blogger M@rla, at 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home