Poignant Irrelevance

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

5 things.

on one of my flights two weeks ago, i did a lot of thinking. actually, i do some of my best thinking on flights because obviously you are stuck in a seat with no where to go for several hours. usually i read to pass the time but sometimes i get bored with that.

*relationships (family, friends, colleagues, significant other, etc)
*spirituality
*house
*career
*health

in no particular order, i boiled everything that matters in my life down to 5 categories. the list just popped into my head, i think it was on my way back from my FL meeting.

i feel that in order to continue growing as a person and utilizing my full potential, i need to focus on accomplishing some basic things in each category, before moving up to the growth initiatives.

its sort of like that triangle in the 7 habits of highly effective people (from what i can remember).

for me, i really want to move into a house/condo/townhouse this summer. basic things i need to tackle include: cleaning out closets and drawers, removing hidden clutter, figuring out how much house i can afford, going to open houses, eventually finding a realtor.

health includes: starting SBD (more fresh vegetables, no fake sugar, etc), setting my running and lifting goals for spring and summer, and BEING CONSISTENT.

career: setting more medium and long term goals.

the other categories are sort of more personal, but you get the idea.

i want to continually grow and reach my full potential and i can't do that until i have some sort of blueprint for what i'm doing. the trick is to try not to do TOO much at once, balanced with the fact that i need/want to continually make good progress on all 5 categories.

3 Comments:

  • This is fantastic that you're thinking about stuff like this - a lot of people cruise through life letting things happen, instead of planning for what they want. You don't always get what you want, but if you don't try you definitely don't get it (I'm sure there's some aphorism about that, something to do with entering a race...)

    By Blogger M@rla, at 11:41 AM  

  • Good on you ... I'm all about the plan. I find the more measurable I can make those outcomes, the more it works for me.

    Great job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 AM  

  • I like it, B, and I'm not especially surprised to see you seeking balance... seems like last year was a heavy focus on the job stuff, then the marathon stuff, now The Girl stuff, and that's a lot in a row! It's good to take a step back and put things in perspective every once in a while.

    By Blogger Mia Goddess, at 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home