Poignant Irrelevance

Monday, March 13, 2006

diet discipline

hey dudes. yesterday i lifted shoulders while i watched the sopranos season opener (which is best written show i've ever seen). i did standing barbell military presses w/the ez bar. i also did front raises w/the ez bar and 3 sets of side lats w/db's.

tonight i did chest. flat db bench (higher reps) and then sets of flat flyes. today is an off day from running (as was yesterday). tomorrow i plan to do 3 miles, probably on the 'mill because it snowed so much here. one day it was 50 with no snow, and then 3 days later it was 30 degrees with 6" of snow. figures!

i wonder why some people have to expend a ton of mental energy to stick to a disciplined diet while it is a complete non-issue for other people. really. i wonder. whats up with that?

i really notice it because my gf is not weird about food. for example when she craves chocolate (just once a month), she can have a couple hershey kisses or a few pieces of candy without needing or wanting to eat the whole bag. this is probably just how normal people eat though. she buys a box of granola bars and has 1 for breakfast until the box is gone.

i feel like i could go bonkers sometimes! if i have 5 pieces of candy i need to use up a lot of mental energy to not go buy a whole pound of candy. if i bought a box of granola bars i would eat the whole thing in 2 days (maybe 3 days if i use my super-human will power hehe). whats up with that? i have to be careful or i can slide, slide, slide for weeks. what the heck? its like i'm addicted and i can't have any sugar or i might go nuts. that is stupid.

i always wonder how and why certain people need to use willpower with food, while others just eat food when they are hungry and stop eating when they are full.

i'm having trouble with my diet discipline lately. can't get it going. why why why. its not that i don't have it in me, because i have done it many times before. i hate using weird strategies and thinking about what the next trick might be though. i'd just rather do it.

3 Comments:

  • Sopranos was pretty awesome. Uncle Junior is starting to resemble the old guy from all those Six Flags commercials, though...

    Do you eat a lot of processed carbs? I mean, I know you work out all the time, and need carbs, but my body can't handle simple sugars. I just crave them all day.

    Look into following a diet similar to South Beach. The focus is on veggies, lean protein, and whole grains, and I've found that it has really helped me with cravings.

    To answer your question about why it's easier for some than it is for others, it's because everyone's insulin levels react differently to different foods.

    The title of the diet might be a fad, but I've done a lot of reading, and it really works. (And I've lost 8 pounds, but don't tell anyone because I don't want it to be about that...)

    OK, longest comment ever!

    By Blogger Nic, at 9:49 AM  

  • I truly envy those that don't have food issues until I realize they probably have their "thing", too.

    By Blogger Denise, at 3:08 PM  

  • I know what you mean. I’ve had people in my life who I watch their eating habits and think, “They make it look so simple! Don’t they ever have the desire to eat a 1/2 gallon of ice cream?” But Denise is right...we all have our own "thing" and if it's not food it's sure to be something else.

    I think a lot of us use food to deal with our emotions--whether stressed, tired, bored, frustrated, lonely, etc.--we use it as comfort and a way to fill some void. This is often done subconsciously. Sure, blood sugar & cravings probably have something to do with it. However I've known people who eat 100% "healthy" stuff but simply overeat all that stuff for reasons other than being hungry. I don't know about you, but when I'm truly hungry I want to eat good stuff (lean protein, veggies, whole grains, etc.) but when I'm NOT hungry--maybe just having a craving--I want sugar, chocolate, simple carbs, etc. My cravings are usually spurred on by stress, anxiety, or fatigue.

    By Blogger lainb, at 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home