Poignant Irrelevance

Thursday, March 09, 2006

HRM Blunders

last night i glanced down at my HR off and on throughout the run. it seemed to always read 75 but sometimes it hit 80. pretty much broken i assumed. i had already replaced the foot pod battery AND the battery that goes in the transmitter on the chest strap.

btw that was the first time i had ever replaced the transmitter battery. i figured after that run where my HR read 75 the whole time, my entire HRM was definitely a piece of crap. toast. distance still worked but the HR part was worthless.

i ordered another $350 HRM. it was shipped today or yesterday.

after downloading my runs into my polar software on my computer, i realized i had somehow changed the reading on my polar watch to read: % OF HR MAX.

(get it? i was running at 75% of my max HR and sometimes 80%.)

how stupid of me. darn! i was actually kind of excited to buy a new running gadget too. i can't believe it. oh well.

today's run was another 3.3 miles but at an average pace of 9:40. i'm gettin' slower by the day. oh well i'm not worried, this isn't a race to get back in shape.

in other unrelated news, i am still having trouble getting back to posting exactly how i feel (about anything). somewhere along the way i started to edit my thoughts. i suspect this happened as i became more aware that a few people i know in the real world read this. i can't shake it!!! i will keep trying though.

5 Comments:

  • That's intersting about your blogging anxiety.

    I get blog anxiety sometimes. The only way I can blog is if I pretend that no one is reading-or that no one I know is reading. I can't let my mind wander about who might be reading or I start to feel really stupid.

    There's that saying...dance like no one is watching...or something like that...so, Brent...blog like no is reading :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:11 PM  

  • That's funny about the HRM. But getting a new gadget, that's cool. I love my Forerunner 301.

    As for editing ones thoughts. I'm bad for just spurting things out. Not so bad when it comes to posting, cause you can change that. But when talking I am sometimes to quick to say things..."ooops, shouldn't a said that". Oh well.

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 9:42 PM  

  • DOH! So are you sending back the new HRM or keeping it anyway? :)

    I did a similar thing with pixels per square inch once. I kept making this poor woman resend me the file at higher and higher resolutions, because it wasn't adequate res to print, and finally the file was so huge we couldn't even email it anymore, and THEN I realized she was Canadian and was using the METRIC SYSTEM and the file was pixels per square hexaliter or something. DOH! Moral: always check your units.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 5:16 AM  

  • I am have the same problem with post anxiety! I know that I would feel better if I could just say what I feel...but worried about being judged or hurting someones feelings! Or for people to see the real me...this blogging is supposed to help...so they say!

    By Blogger Liz, at 7:25 PM  

  • she (mar!a) said "check your units".. he he...

    i know what you mean about the blogging thing. but in general, i think it's a good thing to only blog what you're comfortable with "people in the real world" knowing. part of the reason i use my real name is so that i don't get fooled into thinking i'm anonymous online.

    i'm sorry to sound like a spoil-sport. i'm not saying you have to go crazy (like editing out all the license plates in pictures you take on the road). i'm just saying people are going to find out about brent hopkins no matter what what, and read what he writes. as long as you don't say things you'd regret your friends or colleagues knowing, you'll be fine.

    By Blogger Danny, at 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home