Poignant Irrelevance

Thursday, August 03, 2006

quick!!

another quick one, she's on her way over!! quick!!

yesterday i got up at 4am to put in 5 miles. then after work i put in about another 3.5. tonight will be another 5. friday i may try to squeeze in another 5, and then.......saturday is supposed to be:
17!

holy crap, that seems so much further than 14 to me right now (dare i say its about 20% further?). hopefully this nicer weather (highs in the upper 80's with little humidity) will benefit me.

i realized reading through zeke's post the other day (re: training to fit your race goal, something to that effect) that i've been training in order to just finish marathon #2. what can i say, i'm not too happy about that. i think about it a lot. i've been in a little bit of denial, but yet, i've known it all along too. crap!

last year the motivation of treading into the unknown, walking around with a mamothod size goal in my back pocket, really lit my fire and drove me to achieve every single day.

this year....well....i walk around every day knowing what i'm about to face, and knowing that i did not strive to achieve great things every day during training.

you can be sure that a couple days every week, i think about what i'm going to be doing this winter. here in MN, particularly for me, i think its so important to have solid (yet realistic) goals for winter running. will i get up early and go to the gym? run outside? after work? or? last winter i sort of just dipped my toes into the winter running, with very little expectations.

i understand now the importance of running year round in order to be in the best shape possible for a marathon. or not even a marathon, but you know what i mean.

now let me change gears for a just a bit. last week when i didn't run at all, i lost about 2 legit pounds. i was not very hungry the whole week. i did not eat stellar--calories were usually 1,800 or so--yet i did not once feel extremely hungry and lose my mind at the grocery store.

this week, i've been working to put that 2 pounds back on. running makes me so dang hungry dudes.

which goes back to one of the quandries i had before marathon training even started this time around: should i lose weight or train for a marathon? both are possible but for me it seems to be either one or the other.

ok i typed this out as quick as possible and i won't have time to edit. sorry for those who missed picture time, i'll find a way to let you in on 'em. and regarding that hat, we all got into 2 big conga lines and the dj's randomly gave a bunch of us a hat to wear while we paraded around the dance floor. so i got to wear a fun hat for a little bit! hehe. funny. ok thats all for now, i have a couple more things but must wait 'til later. good luck on all the long runs this weekend!!!!!

3 Comments:

  • I hear ya with the marathon vs. weight thing. I remember my Mom saying she didn't understand how I wasn't fading away as I trained for my marathon (running 15+ miles every Saturday). It wasn't until I gave up running for good that I finally started losing weight. Sure, some of that loss was probably muscle...but either way, my clothes fit better and that makes me happier. :)

    By Blogger lainb, at 11:02 PM  

  • Did you receive your Sept. issue of Runner's World yet? I read the myth buster on page 48 and immediately thought of you.
    I hope you are doing well. How was your long run this week?

    By Blogger April Anne, at 4:26 PM  

  • 4 a.m. to run 5 miles??? I've GOT to remember to do that! I have to get in 8 miles before work tomorrow. what a smart move, getting up that early. but...can she actually do it??

    Time will tell...

    By Blogger jeanne, at 7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home