Poignant Irrelevance

Saturday, June 17, 2006

n0 0pportunity wasted

thursday i covered the distance of 7 miles but i had to walk twice for a little bit. i'm not used to the heat and i'm not in that great of shape right now. today it was yucky outside so i planned to move the run to tomorrow/sunday. for the record i'm up to 15 miles this week, but thats just from 2 runs. i'm still finding my groove.

my mountain bike is at the shop right now getting fixed. one of the shifters broke off and i was getting sick of riding in the first eight gears (or is it first 8 speeds? not sure). hopefully i can pick it up on sunday. i didn't ride at all last week, mostly because of work and the fact that i had to travel for a couple days. i have to travel again at the end of this week.

i washed my car by hand this afternoon, it took about 1.5 hours. it was kind of relaxing though. i didn't wax it, maybe i'll do that next time.

one of the things i did on a flight this week was write out 25 or 30 things i want to do in life. some involve my gf and i (like going on certain trips together) and some just involve me, like running a 4-hour marathon some day. i think it is important to write things like that out, or you risk never experiencing them because they get lost in the shuffle.

phil keoghan wrote a book called, n0 0pportunity wasted (N.O.W). phil is the dude that hosts the amazing race--he has done a lot of awesome things in his life (at first i thought he was just some tv host). this book helps put you in the mindset of not wasting opportunities to accomplish some of your life dreams. live each day as if its your last. he has his own personal story in there too which is interesting.

i think it is very easy to sit around week after week without accomplishing anything (which i'm very guilty of). spending time to relax and rest up is very important yes, but we also need to get out there and start living some of our dreams too eh?

here are a few things on my list in no particular order:
--trip to alaska (cruise)
--go to two of the best amusement parks: 6-flags and cedar point
--go back to boulder to run and hike again
--go for a LONG bike ride
--buy a road bike (some day)
--quit my job and live off the land---totally kidding, ha ha.
--go to europe for at least a couple weeks (a month would be nice)
--go on a picnic
--complete a fitness challenge w/my gf like a 5k
--buy a house
--enter a mountain bike race
--visit the badlands
--go camping
--go to vegas, and go to the O show
--B&B getaway
--go whitewater rafting
--hot-air balloon ride

4 Comments:

  • That's a nice list ... I should make one sometime. Have you thought about doing one of those 101 in 1001 list things (or whatever the numbers are)? I'm not ambitious enough for that, but think it's a cool idea. Which Six Flags do you want to visit? I used to hang out at Mid-America (StL) almost daily during summers when I was younger; my parents currently live near Great America (IL), and both my brothers have done stints working there. You almost need 2 or 3 days to do Great America now because they have so many rides.

    By Blogger mg, at 12:04 PM  

  • i like your list. i'm pretty sure you could go on a picnic...maybe even this summer! you should check out 43 things:
    http://www.43things.com/

    it's fun! you make your own list there and see who has your same goals.

    By Blogger jeanne, at 7:01 PM  

  • That's a GREAT list! I do things like that at the beginning of every year, and then reevalutate them in the middle.

    The badlands kick ass, and EVERYONE should do a hot air ride once. Once is enough though!!

    By Blogger Rae, at 6:18 AM  

  • Good topic and very well said *Brent. I agree that we need to start living our dreams. Several years ago one of my professors challenged me to write down my goals. At the time I included ‘run a marathon’ on the list, yet I genuinely thought I would never run a marathon until I was in my 40’s. Keep reaching for your dreams! With your determination, I know you will succeed.

    By Blogger April Anne, at 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home