Poignant Irrelevance

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

the psychology of a morning ritual

breakfast.
at my desk.

i have come to realize eating something, *anything*, at my desk once i arrive at the office is a habit that i have developed over a number of years. i am finding it very, very hard to break. i'd like to say i'm trying, but most days i don't even try to break it. i get the grande-non-fat-decaff-sugar-free-vanilla-latte and then i walk over the to the convenience store for a balance bar. proceed to desk, read news, drink latte, eat balance bar. bleah. the balance bar is pretty much a waste of calories.

i celebrated the race with some good meals and some good snacks. now its time to step back into it and continue on the road to losing those lbs i want to take off this summer!
***
i will let you in on another habit of mine. i keep my radio tuned to talk radio before i go to bed, and it typically stays on all night. i sleep right through it, but i can't get to sleep if its not on. i have listened to talk radio at night for at least 15 years straight. middle school, high school, college, summers, winters, vacations, going to bed early, going to bed late, it doesn't matter...it all includes talk radio.

i didn't really take note of the radio habit until recently. lets say that i were to have a certain person over to visit. lets say they couldn't sleep through the night with the radio on. this was a bit of a conundrum for months; how do we figure this out? the perfect solution was discovered recently: use the timer. whew.

kind of makes me wonder what other weird habits i have that i just don't notice. maybe she has some weird habits i don't know about. hmmmm.

this weekend we played some skee ball. remember skee ball? it was raining so we went old school. we also played some racing game, played air hockey, and then we went on a roller coaster inside the mall of america. it was kind of fun. our friends keep asking us when we are going to get married. that is crazy talk! we are still getting to know each other, it has only been 6 months. well that is enough personal info for now!!

6 Comments:

  • oh yeah, we all have our quirks...you'll get a glimpse of hers soon enough!

    I used to sleep with the radio on as a kid, but now I usually have to have a fan or some other kind of white noise (unless I'm at home and can hear the crickets). Otherwise, all I hear are cars, alarms, & sirens. Real peaceful, huh? lol

    6 months? You know what they say about the 6-month mark. j/k...I don't know what they say. I don't think they say anything. But my parents got engaged after 3 months of dating and have been happily married over 30 years so it's definitely possible. No pressure right? :)

    By Blogger lainb, at 11:43 PM  

  • I love how you posted the bit about "a certain person" as if her dad were reading your blog.

    Sorry to have scared you with that thought ... lol...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 AM  

  • I am addicted to Skee Ball. like I should go to meetings... completely addicted.

    and you know what else - i'm terrible at it. but i could bust through a roll of quarters faster than you could run a mile!

    By Blogger HouseRunner, at 4:13 PM  

  • Sounds like a fun date! Don't worry about other people, just enjoy your time and life on your time table. Marriage is a blast but so is every other phase of life!!!

    By Blogger Rae, at 6:20 AM  

  • I, too, listen to the radio at night and I'm lucky because TCB likes noise while he's falling asleep, too. (Actually, it's nearly impossible to wake him up, so I can listen as long as I want!) And what is it about marriage that makes everyone feel compelled to bring it up when you've been dating a while? TCB is hearing the same stuff from his friends and we're just ignoring it because it's only been a year and we're not ready for the pressure of engagement/wedding/marriage. Trust me, I've been there and done that and I will definitely be more cautious this time around!!!

    By Blogger Denise, at 7:58 PM  

  • I have the same habits. If I don't have a coffee at my desk first thing in the morning, the day just isn't right.

    And I've had to start using the radio timer as well. I MUST listen to classic music before falling asleep and the husband can't sleep with it. Luckily I go to bed first.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home