Poignant Irrelevance

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Interesting comments from you guys on the sleep vs exercise. Good stuff. I think its safe to say that if a person gets enough rest, they will always vote for more exercise. What about a person that never or rarely is able to get a good night of rest? Would they vote exercise as well? Maybe. Come on, I know at least one person that reads this has trouble sleeping.

I ran 7 miles on Saturday and 3 on Thursday and let me tell you, no amount of lifting can duplicate the feeling you get when you are rolling out there on the running paths.

Something that gets lost with p9ox is that the program has you lifting weights 3x a week. Yeah that's right: THREE TIMES.

By the commercials you'd think its 6x a week. Just thought I'd point that out. When I did personal training, I went to sessions 2-3x a week. The point is, you can get really strong by lifting 3x a week, so don't think you have to be out there being all crazy 6x a week at the gym throwing iron around to see good results and feel strong.

I'm pretty close to potentially following p9o 3x a week for weights, and then running on the other days and saying screw it with the yoga and the other two cardio routines, but I'm undecided. The only one I like is plyometrics (aka "jump training") but the other two are not my cup of tea. That's not to say they aren't challenging in their own way, but I'm not a fan.

I finally saw AVATAR. Man I want to see it again...how'd they do all that? Who thinks of this stuff?

2 Comments:

  • plyometrics are just plain fun.

    I'm pretty happy with the old-fashioned calisthenics that I've been doing - pushups, situps, crunches seem to work.

    By Blogger Jank, at 9:50 PM  

  • I LOVED P90X. The problem was just that I couldn't manage the schedule, it was too hard for me. I'm not ashamed to admit it!

    But I still have all the DVDs, and I revisit once in a while. Right now I'm taking a one-week (maybe 2-week) break from lifting, so I'm doing the Kenpo and Plyo workouts from P90X. Killer!

    I like the people on the DVDs. That guy is kind of a dork, but in a good way. He makes it seem like a regular person can do this stuff.

    By Blogger gingersnapper, at 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home