Poignant Irrelevance

Saturday, August 08, 2009

First 70

I crossed the 70 mile barrier for the first time this week, after finishing a long run of 23.24 miles this morning.

The schedule called for only 2 runs greater than 10 miles during the week, plus a long run of 23 miles on Saturday: 6,12,6,15,8,23. Those shorter runs of 6/6/8 made the week more manageable.

The 23 mile run this morning was tricky because the dew point was in the 66 - 70 range. My heart rate spent most of the time in the 130s (and low 140s), but during the last 3 miles it jumped up to the low 150s, and I started to labor. The sun was beating down and I was dehydrated. It would have been nice to have some gatorade every few miles. I finished in about 3:25.















Sure enough, after I walked inside and drank a recovery shake, I started to feel like I might puke. Dehydrated! I sipped liquids, had some crackers, took a shower, and hoped for the best. The feeling passed, whew. Close call.

I got really discouraged this week, hopefully next week is better. After trading emails and voicemails back and forth with an individual that I was referred to, he eventually said he didn't have time to talk to me. Fine, no big deal, not every contact is going to bear fruit. Then I email a guy I haven't been in touch with for 7 or 8 years and BAM, he sets up a time to chat with me on Monday. Cool. Networking can be humbling though because at the end of the day, you are calling up all of your employed friends (and friends of friends) to tell them about your situation etc etc. It pretty much sucks after a while.

4 Comments:

  • Grats dude, 70 is a very large number. Still, that ave hr is awesome. I only managed 13.5 this morning due to lack of time. (didn't start early enough).

    13.5 miles of pure humidity

    Your recent 10 miles at under 8s means I get to push you for 7:45 at the 25k. How's that for motivation? :-)

    By Blogger Shawn, at 9:40 PM  

  • well done. that's a challenging distance in the best of conditions. i'm duly impressed.

    we were talking about your "feeling flat" during my long trail run on sunday. it was equally challenging and due to some recent family stuff, my head just wasn't in the game, either.

    we started chatting about you and the whole shakabuku comment and things eventually came around.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:37 PM  

  • ps is it weird and stalkerish that i chat about my internet peeps while i'm running?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:38 PM  

  • I don't know about you guys, but I run my best when I'm the most stressed out. Running lets me clear my head. With little to no time for alternative forms of stress relief, running is the one thing I rely on. In fact, I think I'd go mental without it.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home