Poignant Irrelevance

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

19 days to withered quads

Prior to this past Monday 7/6/09, I hadn't run for about 19 consecutive days. Holy smokes.

On Monday, I ran 9.5 miles and after less than 3 miles in, my quads felt completely shredded. At the end of the run my legs were so toast. On Tuesday I ran about 6 miles, and my quads were toast before, during, and after the run. Hurt to climb stairs, the whole works.

I can't believe that after running for so long, for so many months and years, my legs crumbled so quickly!

I can only hope they bounce back as quickly as they withered. If I am able to simply reclaim my fitness level from 19 days ago (by the time the marathon rolls around in October) let alone build on it, I would be happy.

I wouldn't trade my 19 days off from running for once second. We embarked upon an incredible adventure that we will never forget. We went on our honeymoon in Europe; in 15 days we covered London, Paris, Florence, and Rome. I can't put it into words. It was amazing. The world will never look the same. We walked for at least 8-10 hours per day.

One of our favorite things was the bike tour through Tuscany. Starts at a castle where they've been making wine and olive oil for 800 years, then takes a 13-mile loop through incredible backdrop of vineyards, villas, and olive groves throughout the hills of Chianti. Toward the back half of the ride we got to tackle a 17% grade hill, which was super fun. It was easy to picture myself as a member of team Astana, training in the hills of Italy :)

3 Comments:

  • ah-ha! you DID go to europe! what an awesome way to spend your honeymoon. did you see any of le tour?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:41 PM  

  • Very nice dude. You know I'm insanely jealous, as we had considered it for our 5 year, but life just sorta got in the way.

    Hopefully you also know me well enough to get my sense of humor, so this link is just for you. Enjoy :-)

    #19 Traveling

    By Blogger Shawn, at 10:04 PM  

  • allez, allez!

    Man, color me jealous. I still owe the old lady a proper honeymoon - we've been hurricained out of Mexico, and I got sent to war instead of honeymoon in Ireland.

    The legs'll bounce back.

    By Blogger Jank, at 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home