Poignant Irrelevance

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Check out this training run of mine from last Tuesday:















10.14 miles, average pace ended up being 7:47 and I felt good. That has been the only running highlight since I started running again about a month ago. Most of my runs as of late seem to be around 8:40/8:50 range, and I've been feeling like poo.

I'm losing my "edge" out there. I can't seem to find any real motivation to ignite my self discipline. I'm out there slogging out some miles but as hard as I try, I'm falling short on finding a direction. Much of this has to do with my other little situation; it has been weighing on me. My diet sucks and I can't find anything to grasp onto. Lord knows I exercise enough for 2 or 3 people, so my dent in the armor is definitely the diet (I eat enough crap for 2 or 3 people ha ha). Could I be lifting weights more consistently? Yeah sure.

Two years ago, I was very motivated to break 4 hours on a flat course in Chicago (didn't happen in the heat). Last year I was again motivated to break 4 hours for the first time, and my diet was also getting a push from our October wedding.

This year I just can't find "it". I keep trying to convince myself that running a good time like 3:35 is possible if I get serious, but that hasn't worked. Nothing has worked.

You really have to be motivated by SOMETHING in order to accomplish a goal. This is not a new revelation. I'm rambling now. I spend hours out on the running paths trying to convince myself that xzy is a reason to be motivated. It hasn't clicked yet. I continue to run...and search...

2 Comments:

  • hey, i can call my buddy, guido, and have him come over and give you a little "motivation" if you'd like.

    or, i could just call you a pansy.

    what was the term from grosse point blank? shakabuku? or something like that? the swift spiritual kick to the head that sets your life in motion.

    that's what you need.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:32 AM  

  • All we are is dust in the wind, dude.

    My motivation comes from the knowledge there's a great big EndOfFile out there somewhere.

    By Blogger Jank, at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home