Poignant Irrelevance

Sunday, April 27, 2008

My 4th Get in Gear 10k -- a BRISK one

From my recollection, the race temp was in the low to mid-30's, with STIFF 20+ mph winds ('feels-like' temp was mid- to high-20's). Dude! There's just no way i thought i'd have to consider wearing long pants for this race, ever.

I mean, even the official slogan of this 31 year old race is: 'Minnesota's Annual Rite of Spring".

Here's what we woke up to on the morning of the race (looking outside a kitchen window). April 26...can you believe it?


















Oh well. I still love this race. love it. i ran a lot this winter so in my mind i was just thinking of this race as a warm winter race. because if it had taken place in the heart of winter, we would have considered this to be some FINE weather (hey, the mental games we play sometimes eh?). for anyone else who ran this race though, you've got to admit that stiff wind over the last bridge was crazy.

This year my official time was: 47:09! sweet. smoked last year's time of 50:43. i was able to finish inside the top quartile of the race among men, sweet! i was 405 of about ~1,800 men.

yeah woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looking back, one thing i like about this race was that i kept my splits fairly consistent overall. usually i have a fast last mile and then i get all pissed that i should have been going faster during the race. i feel like a did a better job of evenly distributing my energy this time, and giving it everything i had throughout the race.

according to my garmin, the splits were:

7:34
7:26
7:19
7:27
7:30
7:21
6:55 (0.37)

my garmin said i ran 6.37 miles, which i find a little confusing. i'll need to run another official race before i can make a judgment on its accuracy/inaccuracy.

i think i can break 45 minutes. i don't know whether or not it'll happen next year, but i will break 45 minutes for a 10k. so i guess my 2 racing goals are: run a 4 hour marathon and break 45 minutes for a 10k.

thanks to my sis and gf for coming out to support in that crazy winter weather!!! and nice job on the race shawn, well done.









































note, i'm holding the following post-race goodies in my hands: baby ruth ice cream cone treat (ate it the whole thing after the race, all 450 calories), clif bar, mojo clif bar, bodybuilder bar, small nut roll, water, yogurt, small orange juice, and some sort of strawberry/banana milk. mmm!

5 Comments:

  • I know it was cold and all, but I think you can knock some additional time off if you wear less bulky clothing!

    Congratulations!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 PM  

  • Yay, great time!

    I cannot believe the bizarre hellish climate you live in. I'm running the air conditioning today.

    of course in August I will be envying you.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 4:51 PM  

  • You had a great run, your last mile+ split AMAZES me. Check out my splits, and look at that last mile:

    7:25
    7:10
    7:11
    7:15
    7:16
    7:43 !!
    7:24 (0.22)

    By Blogger Shawn, at 8:12 PM  

  • Congrats! And...let's admit it, the real reason why we race is for A. the shirt and B. post-race goodies
    Right? :)april anne

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 PM  

  • Way to go on the great time!!! And what's with that SNOW??!?!!!?!

    By Blogger Rae, at 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home