Poignant Irrelevance

Monday, November 19, 2007

5k PR

on sunday i participated in a turkey run; my 3rd year in this event. i managed a decent effort and finished in 22:42 vs last year's time of 24:55.

my splits according to garmin were:
7:03 (Avg. Heart Rate: 155)
7:22 (165)
7:23 (169)
0:53 (173)
----------
22:42 (AHR: 164)

on the one hand, i felt like i gave a decent effort, but on the other hand, doesn't it seem like my HR was too low? i think a decent 5k goal for me would be to run 7 flat miles, which equates to a finishing time of 21:45.

i arrived at the race early and was able to relax enough to get my HR down to 44 bpm; hehe.

i should have pushed it more i guess. it was fun though, i passed people when the going was tough at the end of the race and i kicked strong baby. the course was not marked very well and was not chip timed; my garmin says i ran 3.15 (instead of 3.11), which if accurate, means i ran the last 0.15 of a mile around 5:50 pace which is booking for me. the last quarter mile to the finish was very fun. they did not have mile 1 or mile 2 marked on the course which would have been helpful, but not a huge deal.

before the race, my gf's sister-in-law jokingly asked me how long i had been training for the 5k race. (fyi she was there to watch the chicago debacle). i said, all summer long!!! seriously, i never really got the payoff for my training at chicago (at least not time-wise), so for every race i go into, i'm going to try to bring a little big of chicago with me. thats just how it goes.

7 Comments:

  • congrats!

    i think it takes a few races to figure out what you're capable of. you can't push too hard in the beginning because as it is you're running way faster than last time. But now in the next race, you know you can push harder...

    By Blogger Danny, at 7:45 AM  

  • i wouldn't worry about your HR. in my uneducated completely anecdotal opinion i feel like when you're well-trained your max (and therefore everything else) drops a couple beats.

    quick race time-and there's more where that came from I'm sure!!1

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 AM  

  • great job on the race. now you know what you are capable of. re: the hrm, do you wet it before you put it on - or put some gel. it could be getting false readings until you break a sweat to create a good electrical connection.

    By Blogger Russ, at 6:27 AM  

  • Speedy! I like the way you use marathon training to finish your 5k...:)

    By Blogger Mia Goddess, at 5:00 PM  

  • Congratulations on your PR! I love turkey trots. It's Thanksgiving morning and I woke up thinking of the Arena 5K; this is one of the first time's I haven't run it in a long time. I liked the Marsh Turkey Trot too, although they discontinued it this year. They always had great sweatshirts.

    Are you going to do the Reindeer Run?

    By Blogger Dori, at 11:01 AM  

  • If you run enough 5Ks, it adds up to a marathon!

    By Blogger M@rla, at 6:32 AM  

  • Way to go!! That's an awesome 5k time!

    By Blogger Rae, at 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home