Poignant Irrelevance

Saturday, August 12, 2006

my first half marathon race

i ran a 1:59!!!!!!! about a 9:05 average pace, wooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!

although not pre-registered, i decided to make a 45-minute drive to a half marathon and register on-site because, 1) i've been getting a little bored with the Lakes loops, 2) i wanted to see what kind of shape i'm in, 3) i wanted to use this opportunity to practice some of the things you do during a marathon (running w/o headphones, pushing a little beyond comfort zones for 2+ hours straight, water stops, gu, etc), and 4) racing is fun!

the elevation changes in this race were a bit of a surprise but that was also some great practice for summit ave on marathon day. whenever i'm climbing hills nowadays, whether in training or during a race, i'm always imagining summit and how i don't ever want to quit on myself while i make that climb. just head down, one foot in front of the other, drive, drive, you can do it, you will not quit, you are not tired.

my foot pod is still not calibrated correctly!! it says i ran 12.5 miles at an average pace of 9:31. its so off! this whole time i've been coming home from all of my long runs, studying my slow splits, and becoming discouraged because i'm so out of shape and chunky, and how will i ever do this. stupid foot pod! oh well. maybe my scale is broken too! nah just kidding, hehe.

basically i ran about 4.8% further than what my foot pod says. which doesn't seem like a lot, but it is a noticeable difference on a per mile split basis. it doesn't even make any sense to show you my splits because they are all inaccurate.

i'm pretty happy with my sub-two! wooo! i felt like i crawled to the finish on the last 2 miles but in general i'm very happy with how it went. YEAHHH!!!!!!!

14 Comments:

  • That's awesome!! QUICK!! Congratulations!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:39 PM  

  • Congratulations!! Despite how you have been feeling recently, it sounds like you are ready for the marathon.

    By Blogger April Anne, at 6:10 PM  

  • Nice run. I was thinking of going for a half in October, but soreness has put me too far off schedule. I'm goinig to try for spring.

    As for the foot pod, I've got one too and it's accuracy is not as good as I'd like. I've only calibrated it once and am going to do it again soon to see if that helps.

    I use Google Earth to map routes after the run and check the mileage, but I don't think Google Earth accounts for elevation changes.

    By Blogger davehull, at 6:48 PM  

  • Congratulations! Under two hours ... woo hooo.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:57 PM  

  • I love "an accidental" kickass run! Awesome. Ugh on the foot pod. It's easy to say just get ouot there, but we all know how much those numbers push and/or pull on our motivation. Now you know!

    By Blogger Mia Goddess, at 1:07 PM  

  • That fantastic! So FAST! Glad the running has picked up for you.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 1:20 PM  

  • Kick ass! Congratulations on the sub-2! That's got to be a great confidence booster for TCM.

    Are you going to try and calibrate the foot pod, or just keep in mind that it measures short?

    By Blogger mg, at 5:18 PM  

  • Look at you!!!! Wow! Great run!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 PM  

  • Hey congratulations, way to go!

    By Blogger Jack, at 6:36 AM  

  • You totally rocked that race. Now give your foot pod a good kick in the pants...

    By Blogger HouseRunner, at 9:10 AM  

  • Congrats!!! That's an awesome time.

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 3:57 PM  

  • Great job!!! for a spur of the moment thing!

    I don't know a single person's who's GPS thing works. what's up with that???

    Congrats again!

    By Blogger jeanne, at 5:16 PM  

  • P.S. whaddya mean marathons don't allow i-pods....you're scaring me, man!

    By Blogger jeanne, at 5:19 PM  

  • Nice Job Brent! Congrats.

    By Blogger D, at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home