Poignant Irrelevance

Friday, September 23, 2005

memorizing lines

so i have been practicing the folding of the imaginary paper cup to make a funnel / spout. "i think its kinda like this? *folds imaginary paper cup and holds to mouth like a funnel*", i said as i demonstrated to someone about how i think it might go. heh heh.

i still have to draft my little plan (if not on paper, at least in my mind) about when i'll stop for water and powerade (and what shirt to wear). i'm getting closer to thinking about my whole strategy. its all a process with me, i can't be rushed...i have to ponder bits and pieces of the plan (from a high level and also some little details) and then all of a sudden one day (within the next 7 days i guess) i'll sit down and figure it all out in 5 minutes.
--
i have to read through everybody's responses again. i have to go buy a bottle of mountain blast powerade (the blue stuff) this weekend too because that is what they are using. i wonder why they don't use the red stuff, you would think that would be the most popular / safest pick. oh well. maybe mountain blast is delicious? based on my experimenting with powerade earlier in my training i know that i have to be careful not to get too crazy with the stuff during the race because its too strong for me / doesn't agree with me very well. i had planned to go all powerade during my training but screw it! gatorade is way better! i'm sure i'll be paying for that decision.

tonight i ran across one of the bridges i don't like, which is somewhere between mile 11 and mile 12 of the course. bridges are like my nemisis. i don't like 'em! for reasons i mentioned in the past (straight line, boring, no scenery, only one way in and out--ahhh i'm trapped! must get to the other side!).

i ran strong tonight. i felt good. i had energy. i did 2.6 miles with 8:30 splits and 7:30 pace for the last .667. while running across the bridge i thought POSITIVELY. i want to keep making positive notes/memories regarding every nook and cranny of the course. i memorized the lines in the concrete. when i run over those lines in a week during mile 11, i will still be running strong baby!


--------------------------------
one area of the course that i have yet to run is from about mile 18 - finish. i drove it tonight--its beautiful over there. huge hill from miles 21-23 though (that can "bring fit people to their knees", so they say). so tomorrow morning i'm going to jog miles 18 - 25. i am looking forward to that scary hill on race day. i want it to bring me to my knees!!!! i can't wait to fight through those last miles of the race, that should be sweet.
------
GO STEPHANIE!!!! WOOOOO! GO!!!!!!

3 Comments:

  • Have fun on the hill run. I can't wait to read your race report!

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 9:47 AM  

  • Well THANK YOU for bring back comments for non-blogger people, lol.

    Just wanted to say good luck, you seem very focused! I couldn't imagine but I can say that would be something to aspire to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • After reading your training blogs all summer I can hardly believe your race is only a week away! Crazy!! I can't do Powerade either, I have a very weak running stomach so I always take my FuelBelt with me in all races, even 5Ks.

    By Blogger Rae, at 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home