Poignant Irrelevance

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

hey i had a good run tonight! are you getting sick of my positivity yet?? heh. i'm kind of a glass is half empty guy (hey i admit it) so while i have this positive stuff flowing i gotta just let it all out!

i kind of turned it up a little tonight. this week Hal quotes one Phd who claims some runners run too hard in the weeks proceeding a marathon and tear themselves down too much. then he quotes a Phd who says, "if you're going to be tapering for a week or so, it's important to keep the intensity of your workouts fairly high as you cut back drastically on your mileage". then Hal chimes in and says its important to emphasize quality over quantity (during taper).

so what the heck? i think my plan is to not rip it up too much out there but throw in some faster runs if i feel ok.

tonight i ran 8 miles at an 8:53 average pace, all negative splits after mile 3. i think i could have gone a few more miles at that speed. obviously this is not my marathon pace. but i guess its my 8 mile pace! i totally destroyed my old 8 mile times. actually now that i think about it, this might be the fastest pace i've ever maintained period (except 1 mile). heck my 5k race on june 25th was about 8:58 pace and i was fricken dead, man--i hauled it in and i was wheezing and i thought i might die. anyway, after the run tonight i wasn't breathing heavy or anything. its just crazy i tell you. its so nuts.


..

10 Comments:

  • Sweet! You have to be loving it. That's some good pace and you'll do well to follow the quality advice during the taper. Good luck.

    By Blogger David, at 4:56 AM  

  • You can get lots of good advice from all those different sources, but I think ultimately you're going to have to try it yourself and see what works for you.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 7:53 AM  

  • I think what Hal (is that Higdon) is saying is correct. I think peaking can be counter-intuitive to runners that are always thinking about mileage and doing more, more, more.

    But when you taper you want to give your body the rest it needs for race day. But you need to maintain some intensity in your program so you're not "flat" when the gun goes off. There's "nothing" worse than being rested, but flat.

    I admit I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago and don't know your running history. From what I gather you ran your first 10K in the spring (Get in Gear) and TCM will be your first marathon.

    It's awesome to see you make such great advances in fitness in such a short time. Man, just look at your 5k time less than 3 months ago and your 8 mile pace last night. Plus statements like "I think I could have gone a few more miles at that pace" and "I wasn't breathing heavy or anything" really tell the story.

    It's time to look at the positives and become a glass half full guy. :)

    By Blogger Chad, at 8:00 AM  

  • Keep it up B, you CAN DOOO IT!!

    By Blogger Shawn, at 8:54 AM  

  • I'm not sick of your positivity...just jealous! ;-)

    Seriously though, what a run! Looking at the graphic is even more revealing. Your last two splits were 8:15 and 8:12. And still more in the tank to go a few more? Not breathing heavy?

    That's just awesome.

    By Blogger Danny, at 10:40 AM  

  • I'm all for the positives myself. My glass is always half full or better yet full!

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 2:00 PM  

  • zeke was saying exactly what i was thinking. this running gig has really begun to change the way you view things, brent. you are becoming a glass is half full guy, simply because you're making positive changes in your life.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:47 PM  

  • wow, i can't believe i missed your 20-miler recap! so I'm all caught up now. great photos by the way!
    Too much advice makes one nutty. Listen to your body. It knows best. And I am jealous too! You did fantastic on your 20 miler, and yeah, best place to learn those lessons. (like I know. yeah, but i read a lot!)

    You're inspiring, keep writing!

    By Blogger jeanne, at 11:10 PM  

  • Are you kidding? We love the positivity! And...wow, you are getting really fast!!

    By Blogger April Anne, at 2:13 PM  

  • I LOVE how positive you've been. Seriously, you've come so far with your running, you've really inspired me (I know, it sounds sappy) to keep up my efforts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home