Poignant Irrelevance

Saturday, September 17, 2005

my last run in the double digits

the splits from this mornings 12-mile run turned out to be wildly inconsistent. i was not feeling very motivated for this mornings run. i wasn't about to set a new distance record, i wasn't about to blow through a 5-mile time barrier, and i have a lot of work to do so i'm kinda stressed out about that.

i spent most of the run trying to convince my "dead legs" to just MOVE already! just MOVE you stupid legs! this should be old hat by now! my light and bouncy i-love-running-this-is-the-greatest-day-on-earth vibe of past runs had been replaced with a more somber tone and some dead legs.

i had miles where i pushed my pace more quickly (in hopes of waking up my legs), and i had miles where i backed off before trying to wake up my legs again. i even played this game where i'd catch up to the fast and super-hot girl in front of me, and then catch the next one in front of her. yet nothing was really working.

but hey i finished and i still did ok in the end. the truth is, it was kind of fun to be frustrated out there and push against the grain. i still tried to kick a little butt here and there. thus we have my last run in the double digits (mileage-wise) for about 15 more days. have a good weekend everybody.

1. 10:01
2. 9:00 (stupid dead legs, take this!)
3. 9:28
4. 9:22
5. 9:13
6. 9:30
7. 9:44 (come on legs, work with me)
8. 9:15
9. 8:05
10. 8:58
11. 8:47
12. 8:11 (stupid dead legs, take this!)
---------
1:50 and 9 secs
9:08 ave pace.

4 Comments:

  • Sometimes when I'm doing HIIT and dying, I yell at my legs (GO YOU STUPID LEGS) and I grab my pants just above the knee and use my arms to make them go faster. It doesn't work, but it makes me feel better.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 4:37 PM  

  • Those last four miles at under 9 minute pace are indications of legs that woke up. I'd say that was a satisfactory 12 miles. It didn't count for anything other than they are in the book and you got to chase down a few hotties. Who knows where that leads to?

    By Blogger David, at 5:11 AM  

  • sooo...just how hot was the chick at mile 9? damn!

    you're in the final stretch now!!

    By Blogger Running Chick, at 11:18 AM  

  • My legs felt dead after 12km yesterday. What am I gonna do when I get to 12 miles...lol. Good job!

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home