Poignant Irrelevance

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I realized today that I have always struggled with the "live in the now" mantra because I'm generally trying to plan for the future. It seems like that was something ingrained into me, maybe from society or my upbringing, I don't know. Save, plan, progress, work hard, then some day....

So turning on a dial, and trying to think more like a person that lives in the now takes work, for me anyway. That's not to say I haven't taken a few risks, or done things without planning etc, but it has been more in my nature to be conservative.

Committing to training for a marathon without knowing if I could even run 10 consecutive miles, buying a new notebook computer while knowing I was about to lose my job, going on my honeymoon even though I had no job and uncertain prospects, taking a new job that has a much higher risk threshold than a "safer" job, these are examples of me being less conservative. Let's face it, its hard to step outside the box, our comfort zones, and GO FOR IT. Whatever IT means to you. Making those hard decisions are what has helped me to continue to grow and develop. Not everything works out all the time, and those trying times have also helped me grow as well.

1 Comments:

  • I hear you on this. The balance between acceptance and initiative is hard for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home