Poignant Irrelevance

Thursday, February 04, 2010

According to a front page headline on msnbc.com currently: your genes likely determine the degree to which your body responds to exercise (i'm paraphrasing).

I suppose its kind of interesting, but if you've ever stepped foot in a gym you know this to be a fact already. What would be cool is if someone could give me a list of the top 8-10 weight lifting exercises that my body/genes respond(s) to the best...you know, take some guess work and tinkering out of the equation. would save me time.

Then again, if someone took a test to find out the fastest possible marathon in their genetic makeup is a 4:15, maybe they'd be discouraged and give up running. I honestly don't think my genetic makeup will allow me to ever qualify for Boston, but I'd sure like to give a 3:30 another run some day.

2 Comments:

  • George Plimpton once went to an olympic training center to find out what he was best qualified to do for a sport. They found he was able to exhale explosively and to leap backward better than most. They suggested bullfighting - but as the bull.

    By Blogger SteveQ, at 11:56 AM  

  • “Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”

    I don't want to know ahead of time what my limitations are!

    By Blogger gingersnapper, at 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home