Poignant Irrelevance

Friday, April 10, 2009

my legs are fatigued so i may take today off, although i hope to secretly get in about 6 miles. i think i should be able to hit the low 40s with a decent run on saturday morning. i haven't been feeling very quick lately; i hope to squeeze in some speed training this week to test my fitness.

i won another game at racquetball league last night, although i felt flat from the miles i've been putting in over the last few days. add this win to the 2 from the the prior week and i'm up to 3 whole wins!

i think i am improving, even in the losses. last night one guy told me i am a lot better than i was on the first night. woohoo!

although, i forgot my protective goggles last night so i had to borrow a pair. they were huge and kept falling down my nose when i'd get sweaty. ugh. the head of the league practically forced me to wear them.

on a down note, last week when i arrived, the head of the league told me that i should be a C player (not a B). that was a little hard to stomach but i guess he's right (for now). this means when i play the other B players, i start the game with 4 points. it makes me uncomfortable but i guess i'm going with it for now. when i sheepishly tell the player that i'm a C now, they tell me its ok because they were there once.

but it feels like lining up a 1/2 mile ahead of a faster runner at a 10k...totally cheating. even though you know you'll get beat, so what? everybody should start the race at the starting line.

this is one of the most important new shots that i have learned: the ceiling ball. its a good defensive shot, and can mess up the flow of the game (this frustrates me and makes me impatient).

playing racquetball requires intelligent strategy, patience, and execution. notice i didn't use words like strength or quickness (these attributes likely help players at higher levels, but they wont' give me an edge until i can master the formerly mentioned attributes).

happy Easter everyone!

3 Comments:

  • I think this weekend we will have a discussion on the positives and negatives of being overly competitive.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 8:30 PM  

  • I like the idea of you running in secret.

    By Blogger Marla, at 6:03 AM  

  • congrats on your marriage!

    are you keeping the running from your legs? cuz that might be hard!

    I am SOOOOOOOOOOO in favor of having slower runners line up 1/2 mile ahead of the finish. I don't know WHAT you're thinking! take the four points and do a happy dance!

    welcome back!

    By Blogger jeanne, at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home