Poignant Irrelevance

Friday, March 13, 2009

a league of my own?

last night i attended my first ever racquetball league. in the back of my mind i was wondering if i should take it easy on people or just go all out and see how bad i could beat everybody.

i got destroyed!

and it was awesome. the only person i could beat was the one girl that showed up.

for my first match, this old guy came up to me and asked me if i wanted to play. he said he was in the C league (i signed up for the B league), and that he would need every advantage against me. just as i felt like i was getting warmed up, it was all over. he had beaten me.

my matches went like this: 6-11 (vs. old guy), 0-11 (vs. last years champ), 1-11 (vs. some dude that i thought was terrible), 11-6 (vs. girl), 11-7 (vs. girl). there were about 3 or 4 other guys that i didn't have a chance to play against.

everybody told me i would get better with practice and after getting a feel for how the ball bounced off the walls etc. ugh! i thought i was going to win the league with one hand tied behind my back! hehe.

after an hour of getting my butt whooped, i picked my pride up off the bottom of the racquetball court and decided to lift weights.

my new goal is to play in a very competitive game with the former champ who completely destroyed me last night.

3 Comments:

  • this is so honest and hilarious!! hehe!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

  • Ha ha! Pride goeth before a fall!

    By Blogger Marla, at 5:28 PM  

  • That's kind of funny. One thing I learned early as I got older: No matter how good you think you are, there is always someone better.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home