Poignant Irrelevance

Sunday, April 26, 2009

GIG, Year 5: Up Front

Saturday morning marked the fifth anniversary of my first ever road race. The Get In Gear 10k!

Last year, 47:09. However, this year I wasn't feeling up to par, mostly because I'm roughly 5 or 6 pounds heavier (probably not muscle?). But my mileage over the last couple of months has been good, so I hoped that would carry me through.

My buddy convinced me to get up near the front of the starting line. There are roughly 4,000 racers and the beginning of the course right near the start) is narrow therefore it is tough to maneuver.

It was REALLY weird being near the front. I felt very uncomfortable! But I think it was a great idea, I didn't waste a lot of energy dodging people which was awesome. My buddy went WAY up front, but I was probably 4 feet behind the start.

I finished in 45:28! Plus my garmin measured 6.32 miles this year, 6.33 last year, and my buddy's garmin measured 6.33 miles, so I think I'm in under 45 minute 10k shape. My splits: 7:03, 7:09,7:12,7:15,7:20,7:20,6:47 (0.32 mi)















Amazingly, this placed me in the top 11% of all finishers, the top 19% in my age group, and the top 21% of males. Holy smokes.

People began to pass me as my splits slowed throughout the race which was disappointing, and like the recent 25k race, I couldn't keep up with the runners around me in the back half of the race.

My long term goal should be to try run 7:00s the whole way through. Whew, sounds tough.

My buddy had a great race and finished in 43:38. Thanks to my wife, mom, and sis for cheering us on again this year!!! Fun times were had by all.

4 Comments:

  • Good job! Hope it's the start of another great race season for you!!

    By Blogger mg, at 7:25 PM  

  • hi! i kind of like the idea of a race you run every year so you can see progress, etc. congratulations!!! pretty fit!1

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:23 AM  

  • wow, brent, what a great race!

    that's a nice 2min improvement over last year. i like your splits...there's not too much variation over the whole distance.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:17 PM  

  • That is indeed a great race, especially feeling a bit down from where you were last year. All you need to do now is continue to hang in the front

    By Blogger Jank, at 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home