Poignant Irrelevance

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

59 days

April 26, 2008, will mark the fourth anniversary of my first ever official road race. The Get in Gear 10k. It was the first time I ever ran in public with unabashed excitement, and freedom from all of those things that were bogging me down.

I reflect on that day with a smile on my face, every time. I reflect on my progress since, and I smile again. I'm hard on myself most of the time, but there are moments when its fun to just sit back and reflect with a smile.

Remember S.M.A.R.T.? Specific, Measurable, Realistic, Timely?

Last year my GIG 10k time was 50:43 (8:09.7). This year I would like to knock off at least one minute, which equates to a pace of 8:00. I think that is a realistic goal. Plugging in most of my race times from last year into the McMillan calculator point to 8:00 as a goal pace.

There is one exception however. I ran a 5k in November '07 in 22:44 (7:19). Hot dog! I forgot about that one. Plug that one in and you get a 10k time of 47:13. Holy smokes. That was the one race where I felt like I was able to apply all of my mileage from over the summer (as opposed to Chicago).

Well maybe my goal time should be somewhere between 50 and 47? I will ponder that one for a little bit. I have lost some fitness since November so maybe I should shoot for 49 (7:53) as my SMART goal. Lets call 48 (7:44) my best case.

Meanwhile, there are about 59 days until race day! "They" say every run is supposed to have a specific purpose. EVERY run. Have you ever thought about that?

I am going to keep that in the back of my mind for the next 59 days. I will try to blog every day for the next 59 days regarding my training.

Tonight I ran 6 in 52:09, AHR 148. After the run, my HR went from 141 to 101 in 63 seconds. It was cold; my legs were a little numb for at least 4 miles. The temp was in the low 20's. Have I mentioned that I am at my wits end with the cold weather? Anyway, my purpose right now is to build up my base to 30 miles per week for about the next 3 weeks. I'd like to get my long runs back up to at least 12 - 13 miles, from the current ~10 or so. Then add some speed work in the weeks leading up to the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home