Poignant Irrelevance

Monday, March 06, 2006

Eat like a runner
Train like a runner


I wrote down some motivational crap at work. I read it every morning to kind of psych myself up and keep focused. i looked back through some of my training logs from this past summer leading up to the m.

i thought back to what it felt like to be training, and what i had to eat and drink on a daily basis in order to feel good on my runs. there was a little bit of science to it. i absolutely had to eat a certain way, drink at least so much water, eat at certain times, all in order to have good runs.

so that is my new mantra. its very simple. it encompasses a whole lot, but it is simply,

Eat like a runner
Train like a runner.


all day long. you can't be a runner for 45 minutes and then go back to some other person for the other 23 hours and 15 minutes of the day. that's not how it works. not if you want to make a difference.

3 Comments:

  • I like it *Brent! It reminds me of one of Jeff’s quotes, something like....“If you want to get serious about your training, you have to get serious about what you fuel your body with.” (Gosh...you would think I would remember it perfectly since I have it posted on my refrigerator, but I forget the exact words.) Anyway, it’s a good reminder that if we make good decisions, food should “fuel” our runs, instead of hinder them. I wish I was at the point where I made healthy decisions everyday, it’s so much easier said than done. Someday, right? :)

    By Blogger April Anne, at 9:50 AM  

  • I have been going through this exact same thing lately. I normally strive for balance in everything, but lately, I think the best approach is to just go all out. It's easier to resist temptation that way...

    By Blogger Nic, at 9:30 PM  

  • i love it. and it's not a diet, it's not a fad, it's a way of life. believe you are a runner and you'll begin to act like one, from your food choices to your self confidence.

    you're on the right track, brent.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home