Poignant Irrelevance

Sunday, November 20, 2005

my first turkey run, my first ever run in winter temps too!

i think the best part about the 5k today was watching the little kids. i am not that good at judging little kid ages but maybe they were 3-4 years old. maybe 1-2 feet tall? they ran (and finished) before we started. they were so little, hehe, it was great. a lot of moms ran beside them. one kid had his tongue stuck out the whole time, funny. and then everybody cheered real loud when they got close to the finish. good stuff!! if i ever have me a little brent jr. or two, we are going racing!

this was not a good race time-wise, but i feared as much. it doesn't matter though, once you are there and have the bib pinned on you want to go as fast as possible and break every world record there is! of course during mile 2 i just wanted to quit. i was tired and i had a side ache and i was alone, and it didn't feel so fun. where is the rbf when you need them? heh.

my offical time was 25:43. we didn't wear chips so maybe i ran a few seconds faster but whatever, close enough. my polar said 7:51, 7:59, 8:14, 7:19 for the 0.2 mile "sprint". i think it is technically a 5k PR for me but i know i am capable of more. the previous 5k around calhoun in october was 26:14.

the finish was tucked behind a corner so i didn't know when to start sprinting. felt like my tank was empty though.

i believe the temp was in the mid to upper 30's. maybe it hit 40, not sure.

my winter gear was good but i felt compressed at the end. my boxers felt really tight and so did my technical shirt. i was warm though, at the end.

not sure what else to say, this is kind of a boring entry. that is all for now. i will post the receipt for the gear soon $$$$$, better let the suspense build a little more though, heh.

11 Comments:

  • Way to GO! That's a great 5K time, your speed is really starting to shoot up!!

    By Blogger Rae, at 9:23 PM  

  • damn brent!!! nice PR. and those miles in the 7s. gotta love it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 PM  

  • Very good performance, under the 30'00" is always a remarkable goal!

    By Blogger Black Knight, at 7:18 AM  

  • Good times! I know what you mean about breaking every record out there. My last 5k I went crazy and did my first mile in 7.34. Of course every mile after that was slower b/c I lost my mind/pace/stride in that 1st mile. Then all the smart people started picking me off in the end. (while I am gasping for breath)

    good job

    By Blogger m, at 9:27 AM  

  • Brent, nice job but something doesn't add up. 7:51 + 7:59 + 8:14 = 24:04. It shouldn't take 1:39 to run the last tenth. It should be closer to 50 seconds.

    Also, if you think 3-4 year olds are 1-2 feet tall then you haven't used a ruler in awhile or been around kids. :-)

    By Blogger Chad, at 9:44 AM  

  • nice race!! and a PR for sure!! look at your splits!

    i love watching kids do the 1K races...totally cracks me up!

    By Blogger Running Chick, at 12:06 PM  

  • wow look at you speedy!!

    LOL at the 1-2 feet tall! not even close B!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at 12:52 PM  

  • Nice Job!!!

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 1:56 PM  

  • Good for you. That was pretty chilly. I find if I can dress down as much as possible, my best times come out in cold weather. Staying warm before the start is always the hard part.

    By Blogger David, at 7:48 PM  

  • thanks for all the nice comments guys, woohoo!!

    By Blogger brent, at 10:45 PM  

  • Great job on the turkey winter run! I like the chart--are you using the polar software? I've had my Polar 625x for 8 months now, but I haven't bothered to get the infrared reader for the PC. I may have to buy it and start 2006 by compiling even more data. I should use the HR strap more often too. I’ve done some zone running, but I hate being told to slow down or speed up.

    By Blogger ShoreTurtle, at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home