Poignant Irrelevance

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

venti, non-fat, and a piece of blueberry coffee cake too please.

whats up dudes! the search for winter gear continues. did you know that some websites actually have a mens running-clothes section called, "Tights and Pants"? whatever. i have found some pants that look ok though. i think it would be funny talk walk in to a running store and say, "Hi, I'M LOOKING FOR SOME TIGHTS!" ha ha! i could not even mumble that saying without blushing 3 shades of red. plus i'm sure after i had worked up the guts to say it there would be some hot chick working. now i'm sure some dudes reading this wear tights (jeff?!) but just know that i cannot pull off the tights look....i mean i'm like a 9:00 mile guy, man! and i guess a 11:19 pace marathoner to be exact, [insert swear words here].

work is really busy, have i mentioned that? last night i came home and dozed in and out while watching that charlie brown and the pumpkin something show on ABC. hey its a classic.

then i had a great chest workout. did flat bench instead of inclined. really sore today. good!

now i'm doing a biceps workout. speaking of which....be right back, gotta do another set......

..ok i'm back. blood rushing to biceps. can't type. must finish blog entry.

one of the things i do at work when i'm really short on sleep + high stress = snacking. i snack to stay awake i think. i snack because i can't sleep. dumb. by low sleep i mean one day this week i worked 13 hours and then went straight to a 3-hour social function. thats kind of what this week is like, next week too.

day before yesterday (in keeping with the above paragraph), i ordered a venti non-fat latte at starbucks. btw i hate those stupid names, why can't i just say, LARGE skim latte like a normal person? anyway, i digress. i also ordered a low-fat blueberry coffe cake thing. i'm sure its not low fat. i very rarely get anything like that, but again, with the tired and stress etc.

wow this is turning in to a long story. fast forward about an hour or two later....i went down to the little convenience store in my buidling to re-stock. i got a huge l-liter of dew for a buddy i work with, and then i got a 20oz diet dr. pepper and a couple york mint patties for myself. this is all very normal and healthy right?

who's in line behind me at the convenience store? none other than the guy who made my HUGE SKIM LATTE and handed me the blueberry coffee cake about an hour earlier. ha! i felt like a moron! we are basically on a first-name-of-drink basis as it is (coffees every day), so he knows me well enough to recognize me. that was a bad morning.

ok back to finish my biceps workout.

ps. more "stuff" going on this weekend, woo!

11 Comments:

  • That's the funniest story EVER about the Starbucks guy!! Now what was he picking up???

    And about the "stuff", are you sending off these Mr. Marathoner vibes that have countless women swooning?? If you're adding more to the mix, do your faithful readers a favour and post a table or something. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 AM  

  • I can relate to the snacking to stay awake at work problem. I am still looking for the perfect low-calorie snack that will still provide energy.

    I was kind of reluctant to wear tights the first year or two that I ran. But the general attitude here in Germany is totally different than the USA (Canada?). When a man wears tights it is just part of the outfit, no one even thinks un-manly thoughts (except me at first). Now I don't even think about it, it's totally normal.

    By Blogger Jack, at 1:00 AM  

  • my houseguest-a girl-wants winter running clothes but she doesn't want tights either! they definitely have other options for guys (and girls) that aren't as form fitting. they are a bit looser (but still tighter and easier to run in that wind pants).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 AM  

  • Venti - Italian for 20...I remember when Starbucks had shorts and talls. Now, the tall is the small. When I read the title, I saw "blubbery coffee cake!" Is that Freudian, or what?

    By Blogger Scooter, at 9:53 AM  

  • I'm the opposite-when I'm stressed I cannot eat much. Maybe that's why I dropped 15lbs and became emaciated-ish when I was doing my residency :(
    Current happy life would also explain why I can't get rid of the 10 lbs I want to lose :)

    By Blogger KJ, at 10:23 AM  

  • tights on men are okay- unless there is too much *sticking out* ahem. cough. yeh....moving on......

    By Blogger Tiggs, at 12:58 PM  

  • 's all about the package in tights.

    Please tell me Starbucks guy was (sips on venti black [like my soul] coffee picked up at lunch) picking up a cup of convinience store coffee...

    By Blogger Jank, at 2:43 PM  

  • I think you'd look great in tights. You're way too hard on yourself.

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 6:59 PM  

  • Hey, at least you got ordered low fat! I always stress about whether or not my non-fat vanilla capp. is really non-fat. Sometimes it just doesn't taste like skim and I'll nearly break my neck trying to watch them make it through the drive through. Work sucks! I'm sick of long hours and I just want a nice, simple 7:59 hour work day (with my current paycheck)!! Have a great weekend!!

    By Blogger Rae, at 9:10 PM  

  • I run so I CAN snack. My day isn't complete without a maple-oat scone.

    Please don't think me too forward, but I just came across this entry from a trail runner's blog (Scott Dunlap) and it reminded me of a winter weather dressing problem restricted to men. This is hilarious:
    http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2005/10/product-idea-injinji-nut-tsak.html#comments
    I guess you'll have to cut and paste the URL.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 PM  

  • I think the Starbucks guy busted you! LMAO. I thoroughly enjoy your ramblings!

    Re the tights: Buy them on-line and NO ONE WILL KNOW! Then, put some windpants over the tights and really - no one will be the wiser! Or ~ have one of your girlfriends go and buy you a pair! LOL. Have a great weekend.

    By Blogger D, at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home