Poignant Irrelevance

Saturday, October 29, 2005

this post is huge.

i had my little weigh-in appointment this morning. i'm up 2 pounds since the marathon. but its weird, i feel gross, like i'm up 5+ pounds. ever feel like that? i didn't even want to step on the scale. i thought about pleading with my counselor lady to skip the weigh-in part but she convinced me that its all part of the process and maybe what the scale tells me will motivate me to take more action. bleah.

last week i couldn't go to my "official" weigh-in because i had to work during my appointment. so this past week, like i mentioned in the previous post, really sucked!

she's really good though, my counselor lady. i've been following this official plan since maybe mid-way through marathon training (i can't remember exactly). of course during training i ate more off-plan because i ran so much. i'd like to lose about 15 or 20.

we were discussing motivation. she asked me what motivates me (trying to get at why i had a bad week and what i can do this week to keep myself on track). well, chicks? ha ha. i didn't say that though but its partly true. the main thing is that i feel more confident when i'm lighter. not that i don't feel confident right now because, i'm like a new guy lately (sort of) in terms of confidence. but you know how it is, when you feel REALLY comfortable in your own skin-- nothing can stop you.

at one point she asked me if i kept a training log during marathon training. "you know, did you write down how far you ran and how you felt?" hehehe! if she only knew. then she said, "i think they have these logs on the internet (a log, tehe). i think they are free even". ha ha ha!! i just nodded and said yeah maybe i will check that out. ha ha! i can't tell her about this blog thing, it would just be too weird :) funny though, i was giggling in my chair when she asked me. heh. if she only knew, if she only knew.

she said, not many people can run a marathon and i must have really been motivated to follow all that training, so i can do this. hmmm. ok ok yeah you got me, she's right, that was the perfect thing to say. some days i kind of forget what i did to train. i brush it off when people ask me how i prepared-- well i just followed this program, i say. maybe there was more to it! i woke up early on saturday for 18 weeks straight to go run, wow thats crazy!

so this weekend i will have time to look at some half marathon programs and see how i can mold them in to my work schedule cuz its gonna be busy until at least the first of the year. having that training program will also help me, along with everything else.

"Race Day: To give up the day-to-day luxuries of the masses for the luxury of a day the masses will never have."


Everybody go visit Lara and check out her awesome motivational board that she took a picture of. brilliant! she has the race day quote up, which she credits to Wil's side bar.

with that, i'm off to prepare for my gloriously long (hopefully) saturday run this afternoon! and a couple dates too, woohoo!

now playing on my itunes: I'm Sprung by T-Pain (whoever that is). cool song. kind of mellow but with an addictive vibe. i've replayed it over and over this morning.

7 Comments:

  • nail on the head, brent.

    the marathon training was SO much more than just following a schedule. think hard about that. there's some serious will power involved, even beyond just waking up early for those runs. think about all the tough miles where you just wanted to stop and walk. you've got so much more inside you, plenty to tackle any other 'program'.

    good luck!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:01 AM  

  • Congratulations! I think after completing a marathon the mystique wears out. What once seemed impossible turned out to be possible, so it takes an outsider to remind you how much you accomplished and that not many have completed a marathon. I'm always reminded that only 1% of the population have completed a marathon, and while I'm dubious of that statistic, it's still a reminder that I've done something most people only dream of doing. Again, great job!

    Also, great blog and best of luck on your future races. Half marathons are the best!

    Raul

    By Blogger R.E.M. Borja, at 4:06 PM  

  • ditto Jeff. So very much more than following a program. It's total craziness at times, but in the end it is so wroth it!

    Very cute picture :)

    By Blogger Tiggs, at 5:47 PM  

  • ha! those online "log" things sound like a good idea...I think you should look into that too.

    very cool swirls on your wall.

    By Blogger lainb, at 6:28 PM  

  • a COUPLE of dates??? Sounds like a busy weekend to me!! As much as I'm running training for this marathon I haven't lost a single pound. I'm starving ALL the time!! I never used to finish all my food at restaurants and now it's no problem at all. Brent will probably lose weight though - he used to finish all my food for me!! LOL!

    By Blogger Rae, at 8:07 PM  

  • So which is more challenging - training for a marathon or juggling women? Perhaps you are gaining expertise in both ;)

    And guess what? That "race day" quote - Wil actually authored that! I did not know that until she told me - is that cool or what?

    By Blogger Lara, at 9:07 PM  

  • You look so serious in that picture.

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home