Poignant Irrelevance

Saturday, October 29, 2005

hey this post is actually about a run. strange, i know.
today i ran 7.6 miles....that makes my weekly mileage total for this week: 7.6 miles. heh.

the weather was great, and every time i run over by calhoun/harriet i get so excited. i love it over there. not as many people were out today though. however i did recognize a few of the regulars. i wanted to say, "hey guys! i'm back! wooohoo!" and give them a high five but i'm sure they have no idea who i am (or recognize me) so you know, that would have been creepy and stuff.

aerobic-wise, the run felt weird but it was ok i guess. i still feel out of shape. i need to make sure i build up the mileage and not skip runs because i really WILL get out of shape. that would suck. if i have time tomorrow i will go back for another. too bad i live so far away, its a big time committment to run over there particularly with the shorter daylight hours.

the one funny thing that happened was when this girl was walking toward me with her dog. she kind of smiled so i smiled and nodded....but this other guy was running up behind her (not with her) and i think he thought i smiled and nodded at him. creepy! he smiled and nodded back; i thought it was both really funny and creepy at the same time. i made sure to take a different path though so he wouldn't see me again, just to be safe!


4 Comments:

  • Brent,
    I don't know if something more happened, but the way you describe this, you make it sound like the guy is a gay psycho. I greet virtually everyone I see when running. It varies between a full hello and a smile and head nod, but they get greeted and all get eye contact (though some women, usually younger ones, avoid eye contact). So, maybe you're afraid of ME! Have a Happy Halloween!

    By Blogger Scooter, at 4:51 AM  

  • haha! You totally should have yelled, "I'M BACK!" too funny...actually, I used to get really attached to the regulars on my running route and even though I didn't even know their name(s), I knew when they had missed a few days and was always happy when I saw them again (I'd also sort of worry about people if I hadn't seen them in a while)...I'm sure they feel the same about you.

    By Blogger lainb, at 8:37 AM  

  • hey scooter. i think maybe it was the context of the situation. and no guy has ever smiled at me like this guy did. well no guy has ever smiled at me while i'm running (although there are a lot of head nods). so maybe the way it went down just sort of bugged me out a little.

    By Blogger brent, at 4:09 PM  

  • Brent,
    Many years ago, I was visiting a college buddy, and he gave me a hug before I got on the bus. During the ride, this guy kept turning around and looking at me. Finally, he looked at me, mouth open and ran his tongue around his lips. Suffice to say, I felt pretty creeped out. I don't know if in a single smile, I could read that much into it, but I wasn't there, you were.

    By Blogger Scooter, at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home