Poignant Irrelevance

Sunday, October 09, 2005

the 18+ week tally (week of may 29 to october 2nd)


miles ran: 425 miles

according to hal higdon, # of miles i was scheduled to run: 460 miles

shin splits? yes, for 3+ weeks

races completed: 2 (5k and....a marathon!! woohoo!)

total # of races i ran prior to beginning my marathon training: 1

# of toenails lost: 1, but i know it'll end up being 2

pounds lost in the 2nd half of training: 12-15

# of new pairs of shoes purchased during M training: 5
-2 asics (one was the wrong shoe for my feet, one gave me shin splits)
-1 spira (caused one toenail to fall off)
-2 brooks glycerin's (these were finally the right shoe, i think)

# of girls i saw running the marathon with hairy legs: 1 (very disturbing)

# of times during training that i literally tripped over my feet due to checking out a hot chick: once (oops!)

# of side-stitches i had during 425 miles of running: zero.

# of times i tried on my marathon garb the night before the marathon: ok, once or twice

# of cases of gatorade i bought and drank during training: about 5 cases, hehe.

while running/walking down summit ave on race day, the # of times i muttered under my breath that i would be sticking to half-marathons from now on: 4 or 5

# of high tech pairs of running socks that i lost somehow in my apartment: way too many (where'd they go?)

# of ear infections i ran with on marathon day: 1

# of airline flights taken in the final 2 weeks of taper: 12

# of hours i slept the night before the marathon: at least 6

# of times i had to use the restroom during the marathon: zero

# of times i had to use the porta-potty during all of my training: once

# of times it rained during one of my 17 saturday long runs: once

# of times i thought about quitting during the marathon: never

# of people in my age group that i beat: 167 (not including DNFs)

# of men that i beat: 860 (not including DNFs)

# of total people i beat: 1,845 (not including DNFs)

# of total people that finished faster than i did: 5,947 (crap!)

# of times i prayed about how thankful i was/am to be given the health and the ability to train and complete a marathon: dozens and dozens.

# of marathons i want to run in my lifetime: dozens and dozens!

10 Comments:

  • This is great. Fairly impressive, at least from this end of it, fairly f-ing impressive.

    By Blogger Syd, at 8:17 AM  

  • Awesome, man. I hope I feel the same way when mine is done! What's the plan from here on out?

    Higdon Intermediate?

    By Blogger :), at 8:44 AM  

  • very cool breakdown!

    By Blogger lainb, at 11:43 AM  

  • nice breakdown!!! my favorite?

    # of girls i saw running the marathon with hairy legs: 1 (very disturbing)
    LOL!!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at 12:49 PM  

  • Love this post!

    Totally giggled when I read "# of times i muttered under my breath that i would be sticking to half-marathons from now on: 4 or 5" - that was exactly the same thought I had during my first marathon.

    And even this time? When I passed the 13.1 mile mark...I thought, with a sigh, that I could be DONE if I'd only chosen the half. =)

    But once that finish line shows up, that all goes away!!

    By Blogger Running Chick, at 1:37 PM  

  • Love it--especially the last one! :)

    By Blogger April Anne, at 2:00 PM  

  • Love it! Great way to look at what you accomplished.

    You forgot a couple....
    # of hot girls you saw while training.
    # of hot girls you passed during the race.
    ....lol.

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 6:58 PM  

  • What a great summary!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 PM  

  • Great breakdown. Last week was mine and Rae's longest run (15 miles) and I have respect for Marathoners because I don't know HOW IN THE HECK I'm gonna squeeze another 11 miles outta my legs. Anyway, great job. Now you gotta get started back to get ready for your next marathon!

    By Blogger brent d., at 9:07 PM  

  • what about # of blog posts about how I feel about running
    or # of positive comments from RBF

    Sweet list!
    I started the weights again yesterday, and I'm feeling the shoulders and the weird collar bone area pain!

    By Blogger HouseRunner, at 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home