Poignant Irrelevance

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Map, and a strategic triumph of the past

i'm so obsessed with running! whew, there i said it. i feel like maybe i need to join a program. hi, my name is "brent". i am a running-blogaholic. i totally admit it!

luckily i have this blog or everybody in real life would be completely overwhelmed with how much i would be bogging them down with all of my little running triumphs and my running anecdotes. "today i didn't take my gu until mile 9! wow isn't that just weird? yeah normally i take it at mile 7...i just can't believe it!" hehe, they totally wouldn't get it.

so in that vain, i marked up the Marathon route map tonight. it started out with 2 arrows and then i got carried away by marking up the whole thing.

while i'm thinking about my long runs (all the time), i like to take out the marathon map and compare it to where i'll be on October 2.
----------------------------------


------------------------------------
first, we have the "Begin 20!" arrow. that points to the Start of the Marathon. on saturday, i'll run the equivalent of starting at this arrow and finishing at the "end 20!" arrow (going counter-clockwise and following the red path).

SWEET!

H arrow: points to the lake where all of those cool Houses are located. the arrow with the $ sign in the upper left is right about where the $3.5 million 8,000+ sq. ft. house sits. looks like i might be running right by it on race day!

C arrow: Chicks. all the chicks like to run around this lake. hence me too.

D arrow: Dirt paths. this lake has the best dirt paths. however it is more residential around this lake/area (eg couples with the stroller and a dog). lately i have been looping around this lake twice because of the nicer dirt paths.

mile 13 lake (bottom, center): this was my favorite lake to run around toward the beginning of my training.

and now, the grand finally! see those 10's on the right? they mark the route of my first 10k! thats right, marathon miles 15 through 17 trace the exact route of the first few miles of my first ever 10K earlier this year. woohoo!

so there you have it. The Map! i have made it a point to do the majority of my training in and around the path that the marathon takes. so on race day i will totally feel at home. man now i'm excited!



----

start at metrod0me.


satellite view. wow this was kind of scary, plotting the entire distance street by street from the ground view. then i zoomed out at the end and took a snapshot. yikes.

6 Comments:

  • Very cool how you load the run map onto your blog. I have to figure out how to do that.
    I get a kick out of your excitement. You have to be loving it.

    By Blogger David, at 6:31 AM  

  • The Map is AWESOME!!

    I'm big into 'planning' things out too...I like to know what to expect...so I think this is fabulous!

    By Blogger Running Chick, at 7:52 AM  

  • wow cool!!!!!!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at 12:18 PM  

  • Thank goodness for blogs, right?! Seriously...we might all be "commited" otherwise :-) Map is definitely cool...do you think you could, like, make it "interactive" or something? So we could follow the bouncing ball (you) on race day?? That would be awesome...bouncy, bouncy...there goes Brent through Mile 10! Hmmm...probably not :-)

    By Blogger Sarah, at 12:46 PM  

  • I'm with you. Don't know how I survived when I was blogless.

    Love the maps. When I did my first half, I did something similar. I ran the course or parts of it for my training and made a chart of times so come race day I knew where I should be to meet my goal.

    I like your comments about C arrow. Wouldn't have expected any less. :-)

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 1:49 PM  

  • I did my first post from work today on the sly and that's when I realized I have a problem. You are so smart to incorp. some of the actual path into your training. That's going to help you SO much on race day!!

    Brentwood's actually another 'burb of Nashville, also on the same south side as I am!!!! It's probably about 15 miles away, in fact we ate dinner over there tonight. If you can ditch the boss you HAVE to get together for us and we'll take you out for some pre-race celebrating!!!

    By Blogger Rae, at 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home