Poignant Irrelevance

Thursday, August 30, 2007

i started paying for my starbucks purchases on my bank card so i could track it. so far in august i've spent about $90. that is horrible. horrible i say. some changes will have to be made! it is easy for me to justify it; i work hard, i 'deserve' it, i need a pick-me-up, i don't have other out-of-control spending vices, everyone else is doing it, blah blah blah. its excessive though.

earlier this week i was the only customer at the 'bucks i was visiting. no one else was in sight. still, the chick finds it necessary to yell out at the top of her lungs, " I HAVE A GRANDE NON-FAT SUGAR-FREE CARAMEL LATTE!!!!!!!!!!!"
hey i'm the only here you idiot! maybe they go through some training class whereby the yelling of the drink is clearly mandated at all times.
the other thing that bugs me: if i'm going to throw down $4 for a coffee, i should not have to put on my own lid, and/or the sleeve. it probably sounds ridiculous, but hey, for a $4 cup of caffeinated warm milk they should also be giving me a high five and complement or something, not making me put on my own stinkin' lid. hehe.

i'm beginning to wonder if my chronic hip flexor pain, which has been on and off for almost 2 years, is actually a sports hernia! i was reading a the blog of a local competitive runner and he found out he has 3. i had trouble sleeping last night because it was bothering me (following a hard speed workout). hmmmmmm.

in other news, i continue to wonder how fast i should attempt to run this marathon (assuming i make it to the starting line somewhat healthy). i've been kind of tracking along in such a manner that making an attempt at 4 hours might not be crazy, but i have to be realistic. i'm not sure how a 4:38 should turn into a 4 hour marathon in one year.

i fear trying for a 4 but then totally melting down in the last 6 miles. thats not particularly appealing. 4:15 was my goal coming into training. i will have to keep thinking about it i guess.

5 Comments:

  • I am a pay for it coffee addict too! It's my little bit of pleasure in the morning. My day just won't be right without it.

    I think your training has you on a 4 hour marathon time no problem. But it's getting your head around what time you think you can do.

    By Blogger Ali, at 8:08 PM  

  • oh, i love the iced caramel macciotto and it makes my day better even if i have no idea how to spell it.

    4 hours is yours!

    By Blogger HouseRunner, at 8:06 AM  

  • Well I don't know, this reminds me of your gum habit. Weren't you spending a couple hundred a month on gum?

    Maybe it would be worth spending some $ on a fancy coffee machine and making your own at home. I'm sure there are recipes out there.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 8:45 AM  

  • Wow, glad I never got hooked on coffee. Diet coke is so much cheaper...lol.

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 12:13 PM  

  • My Starbucks always puts the lid and sleeve on--they earn their tips!

    I understand your doubts about your marathon goal. I'm starting to think mine was too ambitious, too. My plan is to run conservatively for the first half, then pick it up if I still feel strong.

    About your hip flexor pain--have you seen anyone about it? Dr. Moe is Eden Prairie is highly regarded by runners in this community. He's a chiro, but his approach is to only see you a few times; he's not looking for a lifetime relationship with you. :-)

    By Blogger Dori, at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home