Poignant Irrelevance

Monday, October 15, 2007

i kind of wonder what things would be like if i had decided not to run in chicago. hmmm. i think that i might be worse off but its hard to say with certainty. to fly all the way there, prepare so much, have all of my family there to cheer me on, and then just decide not to run? hmmm, tough one. i certainly don't regret running chicago, but i have thought about what my current state would be had i declined.

i haven't come up with a plan yet for the rest of fall and winter. starting next week, i will be working at the office practically 'round the clock for about 3 weeks. seems a little silly to get too aggressive with specific goal setting before then. they say you aren't supposed to run your next marathon until you have moved on from the most recent one. from that standpoint, i'm in no shape to think about the next one yet.

i don't want to sit around eating cookies for 3 weeks but i'm not ready to make a training plan yet. i have spent time pondering my next step but nothing becomes concrete until i specifically write it out and develop a steadfast goal in my head. the transition to weight training is going to be difficult, no matter the duration nor intensity.

i understand not everyone is the religious type, but i saw a verse on the course when i really needed it. i thought i would mention it:

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13.

I wanted to give the guy who was holding this sign an enthusiastic high-five because it helped me a lot. He didn't notice me however, but the verse stuck with me and for that i am grateful.

Why not end with another of my newfound favorite quotes: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." --Aristotle

2 Comments:

  • I'm not a particularly religious person either but that quote is really an excellent booster during a marathon, isn't it?

    Last year at New York, the hills of Central Park were really killing me heading towards the finish line. As I ran around Columbus Circle there were tons of people and lights and a jumbotron and everything and it's probably only the last half mile of the race at the very most. I was DYING at this point. My legs were killing me and I just wanted to walk more than anything and then I noticed the guy in front of me had that bible verse on the back of his shirt. Anyway, I started saying it to myself over an over and it was like the perfect mantra. It carried me right over the final hills to the finish line.

    I used it again to force myself to run the last 2 miles of my crazy Megatransect race in September and it's a great tool. I don't know if it's because of the prayer angle or just because it gives me something to concentrate and focus on besides being tired but it works great for me.

    By Blogger Helen, at 8:55 AM  

  • I was getting ready to suggest weight training for the next few weeks, and then you mentioned it yourself.

    How about the bodyweight turbulence workout? No equipment needed, doesn't take much time, kicks your butt.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home