Poignant Irrelevance

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

TCM #6

Another quick update here. For those that didn't see on twitter, I had an amazing marathon experience on Sunday.

I posted a 3:36:45.

I held myself in check during the first 8-10 miles when I wanted so badly to bust a gut out there and run like the wind because I felt so good.

According to my chip time: first half marathon in 1:48:32 and the second half in 1:48:13. Can you believe it? According my garmin I ran 26.5 miles but I can't get the data to download correctly so I'm not sure how my 1H vs. 2H may differ at this moment.

The weather was absolutely perfect. Everything was perfect pretty much. Now that I've had a few days to think on it more, I may have been able to shave off 2 minutes by running a little more aggressively in the back half given that I still felt ok but you know what? A 3:36 vs. a 3:34 is really neither here nor there for me; not a big deal.

I've had such colossal meltdowns out there from mile 18 to the finish that I think I played it smart by keeping myself in check and running a great race. I felt fine after the race, and I can tell the recovery time is going to be pretty quick as well. I probably won't make an effort to do much this week but I already (secretly) want to go running again! heh.

Big shout out to my cheering section, you all know who you are. I appreciate all the support through the training and on race day and couldn't get through it without you's.

Big should out to my buddy that trained hard all summer and nailed his goal to run a 3:30 by posting a 3:29:22 in his first marathon, outstanding work dude.

I'll post more later, not because it's interesting stuff but because I need to get it down in writing.
Two things: I'll mention that this year I did not have a thing to eat pre-race! NOTHING! I followed some advice from an interview I heard with a founder of Hammer nutrition. I had followed this during my last month of long runs.

Secondly, I put in a lot of marathon-paced long runs during the last 8-10 weeks of training. For the last month of training prior to taper, all of my long runs were right near my goal pace, which felt right and didn't impact my recovery in a negative way. I'm a big believer in marathon pace training, and running the second half of your long runs faster than the first (during the last month of training anyway, in August and early September). I never did any major speed work or hill running during this cycle.

Ok a third quick point....oh crap I had something interesting to say and I forgot. hmm. Oh yeah, I didn't taper as much this year.

Oh the baby is here and my wife...they went out to dinner with friends, by now!

4 Comments:

  • sweet post, brent. you can feel the excitement coming off this post like heat off pavement on a summer day. congratulations on the awesome finishing time. it sounds like the race was more a celebration of the journey this time around, though. breakthroughs like this in training and performance really tip you on your side. in a good way.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:43 AM  

  • thank you jeff!!!!!

    By Blogger brent, at 7:50 PM  

  • congrats on marathon and congrats on baby! been a good month! :)

    By Blogger Danny, at 10:29 AM  

  • Congratulations! That's awesome that you figured out the nutrition (always a tricky one) and the training combination that worked for you.

    By Anonymous MG, at 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home