Poignant Irrelevance

Monday, May 24, 2010

As Good as it Gets?

I knew it would happen, but it doesn't make it any easier. I find myself dwelling on last year and how I felt so good and I was in such great shape. It makes me get all discouraged and so forth. I wasn't working so I ran all the time, even hit 70 miles in a week! Sweet. At a moments notice I could run for 2 hours and not feel a thing. This year is so much different because the amount of my "free time" is insanely different. Plus I took the whole winter off, which really caught up to me.

Lots of people I know find the only way to consistently get in the runs is to get up at 4 or 4:30AM. Last night, set the alarm for 4:30AM. You guessed it, I couldn't get myself out of bed. "I'll just run tonight". For more than a decade, I have consistently exercised at night. Sure isn't going to be an easy transition. I fear I will fail!

I was able to reach over and feel the baby kick lots last night. Weird feeling! I was dozing off and I heard my wife giggle a little. She whispered that the baby was doing some gymnastics, and had me feel the little kicks on the outside of her belly. Hehe. Dear baby, your daddy can't figure out how to be the runner he used to be but he is going to try his very best not to give up...you're daddy will never ever give up, on anything or anyone, especially you and mommy. We can't wait to see you, and hold you, and stare into your eyes and wonder what you are thinking.

1 Comments:

  • No good words of advice come to mind in this case. But I do have one piece of good news for you, that might not apply to this year.

    Once you have a baby in the house, the concept of getting up at 4 or 4:30am takes on a whole new meaning, and you'll be surprised at how easy might be. :-)

    By Blogger Shawn, at 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home