Poignant Irrelevance

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Testing?

Testing? is this thing on? anyone there? heh.
I'm taking a blogging break but i will stop back from time to time. maybe once a week? we'll see.

18 miles today! i don't really remember what happened. you ever have a long run like that? what i most remember is that the last 2 miles were pretty tough. i forgot to buy gu shots earlier in the week too so that was a bummer. i had no food in my place. i literally stopped at the grocery store on my way to the run spot to get some bananas. i ate a couple in the car on the way. i bought some gummi bears too and ate some when i was in the mid teens (miles). they don't really seem to do anything for me so i won't add them to my list of long run necessities.

fortunately a running store was sponsoring a runners booth/tables near the area where i park. they had a box full of hundreds of gu shots. i took one but i felt guilty. are you sure these are free, i asked. yup. ok i guess i'll take one i said. i wish i would have grabbed 2 shots now. oh well. it was mocha mocha with caffeine and it tasted REALLY good, somewhere around 10 or 11 miles. i think anything tastes good after running 10 miles though. regardless, it hit the spot. i tried to suck every last ounce out of that thing. mmmmmm. i have never had mocha mocha because they are always out of stock at my running store. i see why.

i remember stopping at my car for gatorade somewhere between 15-16 miles.

oh wait i also remember going around one of the lakes twice for the first time. i have decided that it has the nicest dirt paths out of the 3 lakes.

well i am disappointed that i crashed at the end but i learned from it. i felt strong for the first part of the run.

my heart rate is really improving now. it basically stayed below 150 for 10+ miles. never hit 170. went into the 160's at the end of the run. the overall average was 151 but that is a little misleading because it dips down to the mid 130's when i stop for water.

see you next week!

10:24
10:18
10:24
10:28
10:22
10:22
10:04
10:08
10:04
10:37
12:05 (mocha mocha!! mmmm i held out as long as i could with the gu shot; made it 11 miles!)
10:36
10:25
11:44 water breaks.
10:28
12:59 gatorade stop at my car. getting weary. only 3 miles left man, cake walk.
11:25 feel like crap here. you are almost done. keep going. 2 miles is nothing. at this point on marathon day you will have about 9 more miles to run man. suck it up.
11:47 that mile sucked but you are done! good job me!

10:55 for an extra 0.21 mile just to make sure my polar will say i went 18 (sometimes it rounds down)
---------
3:17:01.4

21:43 pace to walk a mile back to my car. sore, tired, sore, tired. oh my butt is sore. oh my calves are burning up. oh i wish i could run back to my car because this is taking forever but i have nothing left to give.
the end! see you next week!


.

10 Comments:

  • you got it done. that's the incredible part. good job. i love gu. it's the best.

    By Blogger David, at 6:03 PM  

  • Dang, Brent. Dang. You are such an inspiration! It's amazing that you're running 18 miles, and maintaining ~10 minute pacing for most of it. You've come so far in your marathon training. It's like you said you were going to do it, and now you're doing it. It's truly amazing. You are.

    By Blogger Mia Goddess, at 7:15 PM  

  • Dude! Look at you! That's awesome! You did the 18 miles...and that's one of the toughest ones on the schedule!

    It seems like there were a few of us struggling with the last few miles of our long runs today.

    By Blogger Running Chick, at 8:15 PM  

  • Great job on the run! But only once a week, dang it, how will we ever survive!?!?!?!?!?

    By Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris, at 9:49 PM  

  • You don’t remember? Lucky You! I’m trying to forget my 18 miller. :) ~ I’m going to miss your regular posts, but I hope you enjoy the break.

    By Blogger April Anne, at 1:05 AM  

  • nice work!!!! 18 miles is tough!!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at 9:14 AM  

  • Good for you for getting the 18 in! I had a run a few weeks ago that I don't remember any of, it's like I was on autopilot.

    By Blogger Ali, at 5:52 PM  

  • Congrats on the 18 mile run! That's awesome!

    I had to take a blogging break myself and now I'm catching up on everyone else's. Why all the test posts?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 AM  

  • Did you read Susan’s recent post? Everyone is getting so fast—it’s awesome! Great Job!

    By Blogger April Anne, at 10:47 AM  

  • thx everybody!!!! woohoo!!!

    By Blogger brent, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home